Rich Roehner // Mike Baker
Age: 52 // 50
Birthplace: San Jose, CA // Milwaukee, WI
Current Residence: Bellingham, WA // Bellingham, WA
Occupation: Engineer // Teacher
Current school/Alma matter: Ohio University (BS/’79,MS’82) & University of Alaska, Anchorage (MS’84) & University of Utah (PhD’01) // BS’92 Western Washington University
Personal Website: http://wildwaterc2.blogspot.com/
How I started paddling wildwater:
We met at a pool rolling session, then first paddled together in January 2007, and raced in the World Cup five months later.
The class you race: C-2
Local and Regional results of note: Pacific Northwest Wildwater Champions 2009 (C2)
|National Results (team trials and nationals):||1st 2007 US Team Trials (C2)|
| ||2009 National Champions (Overall) / US Team (C2)|
| ||#1 ranked WW C2 in US 2007 & 2008|
|International Results:||1st Place – 2007 Canadian National Whitewater Championships (C2)|
| ||12th Place 2007 World Cups (C2)|
| ||(5th Place ICF World Ranking 2007)|
Years on US Wildwater National Team: 2
Time Trial Results: 1000 meters in 5 min. 12 sec, June 2009
x-c skiing, big water & expedition kayaking // Flatwater Open Canoe, Toddler Chasing, Playing Mandolin and Guitar
- Marital Status: Very Married to Kathy // Bliss with Franchesca
- Kids: Nic, Kelsey // Noah and a Bun in the Oven
- Height: 5’ 7” // 6’ 1”
- Weight: 155 lbs // 175 lbs
- Music: Everything but Disco / Celtic, Rock, Funky Folk
- Food Favorites: Raw Oysters, IPA, Ninfa’s Green Salsa, Corn Tortillas, Pat’s Moose Stew // Adobo, salmon, halibut, rice, ale and quesadillas.
- What you do to get ready for a race: Zen Out and hum a Neil Young tune // Stretch, visualize the run, play mandolin.
- What you do after a race: Not a good answer // Notice how the beer tastes better when the run went well.
- Boat (Make/model): Zastera/Feeling & RK/Shiro – Both Boats Rock!
- Paddle: 52” Zastera Composites “Benny” Blade // 52”+ Zastera Composites “Benny” Blade
- Helmet: Wildwater // Shred Ready
- Spraydeck: Zastera // Zastera
- Life Jacket: Zastera // Zastera
- Paddling Clothes: NRS, What happened to Rapidstyle?? / /NRS
- Shoe: ?? // I have been a devoted KEEN customer since 2005. I own 6 pairs of KEEN foot wear.
- Car: 2000 Subaru & 1993 Dodge Truck (The War Pony) / / 1987 VW Vanagon
- Favorite energy bar/food: Bananas
- Other outdoor gear: Perception Mirage Special Edition (Orange) // 1989 Ace III C-1, 1982 Lettmann Mk V Kayak