Birthplace: Cleveland Heights, Ohio
Current Residence: Salida, Colorado (since 1993)
Occupation: Project Manager, Recreation Engineering and Planning REP (Gary Lacyís engineering firm, plan, design and building whitewater parks and dam modifications)
Current school/Alma matter: Prescott College
Family: Wife and 2 kids (7&5)
Personal Website: mikeharveywhitewater.blogspot.com/
How I started paddling wildwater:
I got bored in 2007 after 14+ years of concentrating on freestyle and the addition of my kids sapped my desire to run hard creeks. I needed a new challenge and my boss Gary Lacy was an inspiration to give wildwater a shot.
The class(es) you race: K1
Local and Regional results of note:
- FIBArk Marathon 2008 (first race) 3rd menís open class, 7th overall
- Colorado River Race 2009 3rd menís unlimited, paddling my wildwater boat against faster sea kayaks.
- US Wildwater Nationals/Team Trials 2009 5th
Years on US Wildwater National Team: 1
Time Trial Results: I train year-round on the Arkansas River which makes time trialing hard since the flows fluctuate. My normal time trial starts a little below Salida and finishes just below Bear Creek Rapid (the 2009 Nationals classic course.)
Whitewater kayaking has been the driving passion of my adult life. I have spent time in every sort of kayak from squirt boats to slalom boats and competed in Freestyle from 1996-2007. I have banged out more cartwheels in the play holes in Salida than any adult with a productive life should admit to. I love multiday river trips with family. Stand Up Paddling is a new paddling passion of mine. We are an active outdoor family that rides bikes, skis, and goes fly fishing together. I built a pump track/mini BMX track in the empty lots we own next door so my kids and I play out there after school/work.
- Marital Status: Married (10 years this year) to my best friend/life coach/manager Hanley
- Kids: Miles 7 and Chloe 5 (Miles competed in his first DR race this last FIBArk in the 2 mile novice division)
- Height: 6'
- Weight: 175
- Music: Reggae (Bob Marley, Toots, Israel Vibrations), Independent Hip-Hop (De La Soul, MF Doon, Madlib) Electronica (Thievery Corp, RJD2, Nightmares on Wax)
- Food Favorites: my wifeís garden
- What you do to get ready for a race: I am still learning, less than 10 races into my wildwater career - sleep well, drink water, long warm up, control nerves with visualization and listening to music.
- What you do after a race: First thing: PB&J and Chocolate Milk (some things are timeless) then drink a lot of water and maybe a medicinal Tecate or two.
- Boat (Make/model): Training: Prijon 89, Racing: Zastera G-Dynamic
- Paddle: Gala Sport with Cobra blades
- Helmet: Sweet Strutter
- Spraydeck: Snap Dragon (unideck sewed to a IR Zephyr SS Paddle Top)
- Life Jacket: Astral
- Paddling Clothes: (IR) IR Zephyr top
- Shoe: (KEEN) Hood River Boot most comfortable, bomb-proof bootie I have ever worn in 16+ years of paddling.
- Car: VW TDI Jetta Wagon
- Favorite energy bar/food: (Clif BAR) Apricot
- Other outdoor gear: Total gear junkie, ridiculous assemblage of skis, bikes and river toys. I take my fun super seriously!