Current Residence: Seattle, Washington
Occupation: Strategic Advisor, Environmental Affairs, Seattle City Light
Current school/Alma matter: BS wildlife Biology, Colorado State University 1976. Masters of Public Administration, University of Washington, 1982
Family: Husband, Peter Stekel, writer (www.peterstekel.com)
Personal Website: none
How I started paddling wildwater:
I started recreational kayak paddling in 1980 after I broke my leg in a climbing accident. Began whitewater racing in 1989 participating primarily in slalom (Olympic team trials in 1992 and 1996, World Masters Champion in 1998, Masters National Champion 2005) until I became hopelessly addicted to racing Wildwater about the year 2000.
The class(es) you race: K-1W
National Results (team trials and nationals):
- K1W National Champion in 2000 and 2006.
- Earned a spot on the national team in 2000, 2001, 2003, 2007, and 2010.
- 6th place 2007 World Cup Final Sprint, Ivrea, Italy
- 6th place 2009 World Cup Classic, Ouze River, Tasmania, Australia
- 2010 World Champion, K1W Masters, class C, Sort, Spain
- Swimming and Bicycling, River running, especially wilderness overnight runs.
- Board member of American Whitewater since 2000 (www.americanwhitewater.org)
- Founder and Director of the League of Northwest Whitewater Racers since 1989 (www.nwwhitewater.org). The League promotes slalom and downriver racing in the Pacific Northwest and organizes the Northwest Cup Series every year. I have organized many races and events, including river festivals.
- Playing the flute and piccolo in the Seattle Flute Choir and the J2M2 flute quartet
- Baking cookies, cakes and pies!
- Marital Status: Married to Peter Stekel since 1991.
- Height: 5’ 4”
- Weight: 110 lbs
- Music: Classical, especially Baroque
- Food Favorites: fresh fruit, beets, and lamb.
- Boat (Make/model): Zastera Savage 2000
- Paddle: custom Werner paddle with sea kayak blades
- Helmet: Wildwater (worn with my lucky Kokatat purple hat)
- Spraydeck: Snap Dragon Designs
- Life Jacket: Sandiline
- Paddling Clothes: try to match my boat whenever possible
- Shoe: custom
- Car: 1995 Dodge Caravan named “Morris” with custom wood racks made in 1982.
- Favorite energy bar/food: banana