Birthplace: Washington, DC
Current Residence: Bethesda , MD
Family: Iím single
How I started paddling wildwater:
I started paddling wavehoppers and wildwater boats when I was working for Valley Mill Camp. I got bored with
playboating so I took up downriver and started spending a lot of hours in wildwater boats.
The class(es) you race: K1 men but I can also paddle C1 and C2, as well as other disciplines.
Local and Regional results of note:
- Multiple time winner of the Upper Yough Race, Animal Upper Gauley Race, Cheat Canyon Race, Ohiopyle Falls Race,
and the Ohiopyle Upstream races.
- 2nd in Great Falls extreme race last 2 years
National results (team trials and nationals)
- US team member (junior/senior) since 2003.
- Two time junior national champion and 4 time defending current national Champion.
- 9th and 11th at 2004 junior pre worlds in Vipiteno, Italy
- 28th at Soca world cup #2 sprint in 2004.
- 22nd at Nottingham world cup #1 sprint 2005.
- 17th at Lofer world cup sprint #3 2006
Years on US Wildwater National Team: 6
Time Trial Results:
- 500m (from 2006) 2.08
- 2000m (from 2005) 9.47
Most of my paddling time these days is in plastic ĎCreek boatsí or other whitewater kayaks, spent running Great
Falls, the class 5 creeks of West Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado and elsewhere. I also compete in several of
the extreme whitewater races such as on Great Falls, The Green Narrows race, and the Teva Mountain Games, where
I was 4th last year. Giant slalom is a new discipline that I am also involved in, combining slalom and creek racing.
I donít have much energy for sports outside of kayaking, but I enjoy doing a lot of things outside
- Marital Status: Single
- Kids: none
- Height: 6í 1Ē
- Weight: 186
- Music: I mostly listen to classic rock and hard rock but my tastes are branching out
- Food Favorites: Red meat. Any dish with meat.
- What you do to get ready for a race: I usually have to fix something or hitch a ride to the start line before a race.
If I have time, I like to spend a lot of time warming up and getting used to going full speed
- What you do after a race: eat, drink, relax (or pout)
- Boats: Zastera Dynamic and ZBSport WAKA
- Paddle: I just got new Jantex gamma blades. I usually have my paddles set up as R75 213cm
- Helmet: Iíve worn wildwater designs for years, but I just got the new Shred Ready Shensu
- Spraydeck: Zastera/ IR bungee skirt
- Life Jacket: old purple Rapidstyle slalom cut pfd
- Paddling Clothes: I like to wear thin layers of polypro and synthetics and a light top deck or spray jacket for racing. Often I will dress very light even in cold weather so I have to work hard to stay warm during my warmup, so that I donít overheat during a race
- Shoe: I donít like this new rule requiring shoes to be worn for racing, but I like KEEN shoes.
- Car: silver í07 Subaru Outback
- Other outdoor gear: Iím a big fan of Nike warmup pants, and old US team jackets