August 7, 2004
-- Atlanta, GA --
Board Members Attending: John Pinyerd, Ben Sandiford, Chris Hipgrave, Geoff Calhoun, Bob
Bofinger, and Chris Norbury.
Racers attending: Ed Gordon, Chara Whitmore, Jess Whitemore, Ross Linthicum, Beth Karp,
Scott Lerox, Travis Wieland, Art Miller, Rob Murphy, Lincoln Williams, Ed Gordon,
Harold Van Winssen, (and Mike Beck and Kristen Beck by email/proxy)
Approval of the Minutes:
Pinyerd presented an approved copy of the Minutes from the previous board meeting on 4-17-04
(as posted on USAWildwater.com). Sandiford approved.
Hipgrave presented the Treasures Report:
- USACK has allocated $2800 to for USA Wildwater for 04.
- USA has spent $1400 for Junior development.
- The remaining $1400 has been allocated to operating expenses, postage etc. ($200),
and to training camps (4x$300).
- Training camps must have a minimum of 6 participants and not be for personal gain
to qualify for funding).
Pinyerd: Martin Bay has really worked hard to keep USAWildwater.com updated. However, several
life changes (job change and a move) have prevented him from being able to keep the website up.
Hipgrave: Chuck Brabec has agreed to be the webmaster for USA Wildwater (one of our most
important functions) and started last week. Chuck's expertise and skill is already visible.
05 Budget/Business Plan Subcommittee:
Pinyerd called for a Sub Committee to put together the 05 Budget/Business Plan to be
presented at the next board meeting:
- The board agreed and Sandiford, Hipgrave, and Pinyerd will serve.
- Goal is to have Budget of $10k with budget trigger that fund programs based on need.
Funding for essentials like uniforms and training camps will come first. Funding for
athlete expense will come after minimums are met.
- Pinyerd: now is the time to act for 05. We need equipment/gear as well as funding and
need to have a minimum budget of $10k to function properly.
- Hipgrave: We have USA Wildwater Promotional/Sponsorship DVD we have put together that
can be mailed to anyone. Please have anyone who needs a copy to contact me.
- Hipgrave: Have sponsors contact me for how to donate to USA Wildwater.
- Pinyerd: Phil Stafford may be able to help with corporate sponsorship. We need fundraisers.
Mike/Kristen Beck's proposal for Kristen's parents to start a Booster was presented to the
board. The board voted in favor of the proposal with the following stipulations:
- The Booster Club must be fully accountable to the board and give updates on at least
a quarterly basis.
- All funds should be channeled through USA Wildwater or as appropriately agreed upon.
Team Manager for 05-06:
Board votes unanimously for Mike/Kristen Beck to serve as the Team Manager for 05-06
provided that the following stipulations are met:
- Active communications/email must be maintained (Mike and Kristen will spend much
of their time in Germany).
- The position must be accountable to the Board (our standard practice)
- The position should support all World Cups during 05-06 and the World Championships.
Races, Training Camps, 05 Race Schedule:
- Hipgrave has several NRC training camps planned for the fall winter.
- Pinyerd/Hipgrave will do two training camps in Atlanta: a forward stroke clinic
in December for Georgia Canoeing Association plus a winter training camp in January.
- Pinyerd will send out a call for bids for 05 USA Team Trails and will post on
USA Wildwater.com by 8/10/04:
- 05 Team Trials will need to be held by mid-March in order to support the World Cup
schedule (all in May)
- Team Trials bid should be returned by October 1st.
- The Board will select the location and will make public by November 1st.
- Board unanimously votes to award 05 US Nationals to the FIBArk Organization without going
through additional bids. Pinyerd will forward FIBArk the bid requirements. Nationals will
be held on the Arkansas River near Salida, CO:
- National's race dates are planned to be June 17-18. Awards will be presented to day
one Sprints, day two Classic, and the combined champion (based on percentages)
- The FIBArk classic 26-mile wildwater race will be June 20th. The organizers may also
elect to award combined winners for all races.
- We will explore incorporating Western Junior Team Trials.
Team Trails Sub-Committee Report - Recommend Bylaws Changes
Hipgrave presented the recommended changes:
- Racers must make a minimum percentage off of the fastest boat (most likely a K-1) to be
on to be on the team. The subcommittee studied USA race results for the past few years
and, this years international race results, and other world championships. The proposed
cut off percentage for 05 is 20% plus the class handicap as follows:
- K-1 Men: 20% + 0% = 20%
- K-1 Women 20% + 10% = 30%
- C-2 - 30% 20% + 10% = 30%
- C-1 - 35% 20% + 15% = 35%
- Team Trails must include a Classic Race and two (combined) Sprint Races. The selection
criteria will be:
- Winner of the Classic
- Winner of the Sprint
- Remaining slots to be filled based on the best combined percentages from the Sprint
and Classic Races.
- The board incorporated the suggestions from the floor by Jess Whittemore that racers
should only be required to make the percentage cutoff on ONE of the race days.
- We will develop a series of Regional Qualifier Races from each region of the US.
While racers are encourages to attend the regional qualifiers, exemptions will be
given to those needing a bye to Team Trials while the program is being developed.
- After, much discussion, the Regional Qualifier concept was tabled for future
The board unanimously agreed to Norbury's motion that we finalize the language for the
changes to the Bylaws for team trials selection and post on USAWildwater.com for review and
Meeting adjourned 10:30 PM.